Parent UpdatePosted on: March 17th 2020
Re: Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) update
In light of the UK Prime Minister’s update yesterday, we recognise the need for all of us to be particularly stringent in adhering to social distancing measures where they meet one of the following criteria
- aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions);
- under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (ie. anyone instructed to get a flu jab as an adult each year on medical grounds);
- chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis;
- chronic heart disease, such as heart failure;
- chronic kidney disease;
- chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis;
- chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy;
- problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your
- spleen removed;
- a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy;
- being seriously overweight (a BMI of 40 or above);
- those who are pregnant.
The current situation is already impacting on our school community where a significant number of staff and pupils have already been sent home today or did not attend as a result of this new updated Government advice. Our school leadership team are meeting on a daily basis and are in constant contact to review the situation as it develops. I trust you will appreciate the challenge this brings and assure you that we are in regular contact with the local authority and are responding to all directives.
In order to support the process, we believe it is important that we begin to prepare for possible school closure. In the first instance, we will discuss the possibility of a partial closure of the school to include Year 7, 8 and 9 and will continue to remain open for those students who are currently scheduled to sit public examinations in the summer. However, you will receive further information of this decision being implemented and your child should continue to attend school until we advise you further.
Our students have been informed on how work will be circulated in the event of closure and I would ask that you please keep an eye on our dedicated webpage for regular updates.
Let us keep each other in our prayers in these unprecedented times.